Friday, September 23, 2011

An Updated Approach

This week I rewrote some parts of my original design document, and I've up with a more detailed approach for my project. After talking to people who have implemented similar projects, the general advice I gathered was that it was best to ensure basic functionality first, before trying to implement all the details of a paper.

My major goal last week was to read through all the papers and find one that is most relative to my project. Vijay, who worked on the Building Building Builder project from a previous year, recommended Interactive Visual Editing of Grammars for Procedural Architecture, so I've decided to focus on this paper after I've created the tool with some basic functionalities.

As for the work flow, my plan for next week is to finish reading about scripting for and have a basic plug-in running that can create a cube and apply basic transformations (namely scale and rotation). The next step after that would be to add additional faces and edges onto the cube.

I'm really looking forward to next week and having a skeleton up and running. Thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Alice the couple things I would really like to see as you read through these papers: Is seeing how they set up their rules and shape grammars ... and how your going to start to define your own. Its ok to list and link to the paper and define what you like from it, as your compile the grammar and features you want to implement.


    The one thing would want to see too in a post too is a system diagram : (This is obviously a sketch and not correct, but illustrates what I am driving at) - What data are you taking in from the user (define the paramters below the diagram) - > through mel interface (what will it look like(you have some examples) -> maya plug-in -> to set of rules (what rules) -> create geometry- in what form (which modifies what node in maya) ...

    ReplyDelete