Friday, November 4, 2011

Alpha Review Thoughts

After going through the comments on the Alpha Review, I've noted a few areas I could improve on, such as going into more detail on my project context as well as overall progress. The comments were helpful in giving me advice for resources as well as directions to consider for the project. Next I'll address some of the major points in the comments.

Will the final project be procedural generation of a city or just buildings?
This is something I've been thinking about since a few weeks ago. There are two parts to procedurally generating a city: the generation of the building itself, and then the creation of a city by populating city blocks with buildings. While I originally intended to focus on generating the building model, it's something that has been explored many times already, and I think it'd be more interesting to explore different ways the user can interface with Maya to generate a city.  Norm suggested I could have my script import a color-map from the user to determine which types of buildings should be generated in each region of a city. I feel this is a good point to start off on once I finish implementing the functionality to generate a basic building.

How is this different from CityEngine and how does the user benefit from using a plug-in in Maya?
At the moment, most of CityEngine's building generation is done through user-created files. I think it'd be neat if my script can offer a more visual approach like the one I mentioned earlier. Right now I have a couple ideas I'm planning on trying out next week. Until then, thanks for looking!

1 comment: