Sunday, April 11, 2010

Progress Report 4/12

-Received 2 documents from Ken about Agent Analyst. I have a pretty clear idea on what Agent Analyst does now, it's just the implementation part that I'm still a bit lost on. The tutorials I've worked on give a basic sense of how to create an agent, but I haven't found any that would help my figure out how to create agents that visibly move across a map. These are the ones I've been working through. The Schelling GIS tutorial seems close to what I am looking for, since it involves agents on a map, but they aren't displayed individually, and the tutorial provides a pre-made file to load rather than guide the user in creating the agents and their movements. So far I've only found 3 tutorials---it seems that support for AgentAnalyst is quite limited, which is a bit frustrating.

I was able to download a world street file from the esri website (here), so it seems that PASDA will not be needed for now.

If Agent Analyst does not work, I've compiled some other programs to consider:

1. Attempt to place object on a layer in ArcMap, and manipulate it along a street using Python script. I've emailed Ken about the probability of this alternative. Right now I'm waiting on a reply.

2. I found a version of Repast that integrates with eclipse (Repast Symphony). It seems like there is a lot more support for it than Agent Analyst. I'm already looking through tutorials. This is probably the best alternative if the above does not work.

No comments:

Post a Comment